What's a line edit?
A BookBaby line editing project addresses the creative content, writing style, and language use at the sentence and paragraph level. While your editor strives to catch simple grammar errors in the manuscript, line editing focuses more on how the writer communicates their story to the reader.
Line editors concentrate on many important elements of a manuscript including:
- Run-on sentences and words or sentences that are extraneous or overused
- Redundancies from repeating the same information in different ways
- Shifts in the writer’s tone and unnatural and inconsistent phrasing
- Confusing narrative digressions in character dialogue
- Changes that can be made to improve the pacing of a passage
Your BookBaby Line Editor will search for ways that dialogue or paragraphs that can be tightened, or changes that can be made to improve the pacing of a passage. They’ll suggest many different words or phrases that may clarify or enhance your meaning.
Line editing vs. copy editing
While a copy edit focuses on every sentence, word, letter and punctuation to comb your manuscript for errors, line editing is a more holistic examination of your writing. Your line editor will carefully examine your manuscript and answer these key questions:
- Is your language clear, fluid, and pleasurable to read?
- Does it convey a sense of atmosphere, emotion, and tone?
- Do the words you’ve chosen convey a precise meaning, or are you using broad generalizations and clichés?
Learn more about which editing services your book needs by checking out this article.
Line editing services at BookBaby
Working with our team of professional editors through BookBaby, you can expect line editing results quickly and efficiently. In about 8-10 business days, we’ll have your line edits finished and your book one step closer to publication.