Prepare Your File for Basic ePUB Conversion
Our partners require that eBooks are delivered in ePUB format. If you have not done so yourself, we can convert .doc, .txt, .rtf, or .html files for you (additional fees may apply for PDF conversion). If your eBook requires more than basic conversion (see criteria below), additional fees may apply.
Basic ePUB conversion includes:
The following guidelines will allow us to preserve your original formatting during the ePUB conversion process:
- a basic formatting check
- conversion from your supplied file (.doc, txt, .rtf, or .html)
- insertion of the cover image
- interactive Table of Contents with up to 30 chapter headings
- Proof your file for proper spelling, grammar, and syntax. Once your book has been converted to ePUB format, it's too late to fix a typo! BookBaby does not proofread your book.
- Do not use tabs or the space bar to format paragraphs or individual lines. Please use the format paragraph menu or the alignment buttons in the toolbar of your text-editing program.
- If you choose to include the publisher's name and address, the date of publication, copyright information, ISBN number, or any appropriate collaborative credits, please do so within the first two pages of the document.
- Use a standard font for your document like Times New Roman or Courier New.
- Do not use very large or very small font sizes. We recommend 12pt font size for body text and 14-18pt for chapter titles.
- Extract content that is displayed in tables or sidebars and list it as ordinary text. Tables, inserts, and sidebars will not display properly in ePUB format.*
- Do not include any elements that refer to page numbers other than your formatted Table of Contents. On an eReader, whatever the user isolates on their screen is a "page," so all headers, footers, footnotes, and indexes will be deleted.
- Resize large images to 300 pixels high if you would like them to display in-line with text. Do all image resizing outside of the document, then reinsert them before saving. All images should be 72 - 300 DPI (300 DPI preferred).*
- Cover and full-page images: 590 pixels wide by 750 pixels high.
- Logos or simple images: 75 - 100 pixels high
- Do not wrap text around images. All images (except full-page images) should be set "in-line" with text.*
- Be aware that special symbols may not convert properly to ePUB unless they are characters in a standard font set. For this reason, we ask that you choose a font like Times New Roman for all text and symbols.
* If your book contains more than three images or illustrations, or any charts, tables, graphs, audio, or video, please email us for formatting tips and/or a custom quote for conversion to ePUB format.